Skip to main content
Dismiss notification

ALERT! We now encourage our patients to save their spot in line before coming into the clinic.

Expand notification
Dismiss notification


If you are Texas Children’s Health Plan Member, we have tips that can help you deal with the severe weather. If you have a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 for help.

If you need help with disaster assistance, you can call 2-1-1. This will connect you with the State Emergency Assistance Registry. | Click here for more information

    Expand notification

    Children’s Health Insurance Program

    CHIP Frequently Asked Questions

    Texas Children’s Health Plan offers CHIP in Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Hardin, Harris, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Newton, Orange, Polk, San Jacinto, Tyler, Walker, Waller, and Wharton counties.

    Depending on your income, you may have copayments for things such as prescription drugs and visits to the doctor or emergency room. Copayments range from $5 to $25 for doctor office visits. The copayment is the portion of the bill that you have to pay.

    You can use our “Find a Doctor” tool, or call our toll-free number at 1-866-959-6555.

    You can use our “Find a Doctor” tool to find a main doctor. If you can’t find your doctor, or need help choosing one, call Member Services at 1-866-959-6555. Your main doctor is your “medical home” for health care. Your main doctor can arrange specialty care as needed.

    You can get well-child checkup services from your main doctor. It’s important to take your child to get his or her checkup every year.

    To find out which drug stores are in our network, you can call Member Services at 1-866-959-6555 or review our list of pharmacies in our pharmacy directories.

    For a list of these types of services, call Member Services at 1-866-959-6555.

    You can get behavioral (mental) health and substance services without a referral from your main doctor. You can use our “Find a Doctor” tool to find one near you. To use these services, call Texas Children’s Health Plan toll-free at 1-800-731-8528.

    Sometimes your main doctor may not be able to offer you the treatment you need because it is not their specialty. In this case, your main doctor can refer you to a specialist. Specialists are listed in our "Find a Doctor" tool.

    You can get eye exams without a referral from your main doctor. To use these services, call Envolve Vision at 1-844-520-3711.

    To find out about events in your area, call 1-800-990-8247 or visit our events page.

    A complaint is when you are not happy with your health care or services provided by your doctor, his or her office staff, or the Texas Children's Health Plan staff.

    We want to help. If you have a complaint, please call Member Services toll-free at 1-866-959-6555 to tell us about your problem.

    All address changes need to be reported to HHSC. As soon as you have your new address, give it to HHSC by calling 2-1-1 or by updating your account on

    It is important to make sure your address is updated in a timely manner to ensure you continue to receive information from Texas Children’s Health Plan and HHSC. You may need to choose another health plan if you moved to an area that is not covered by Texas Children’s Health Plan. 

    If you need help, call Member Services toll-free at 1-866-959-2555 (STAR), 1-866-959-6555 (CHIP), or 1-800-659-5764 (STAR Kids). We will be happy to tell you if you moved to an area that is outside of Texas Children’s Health Plan’s service area and get you connected to HHSC so the address change can be made.  You will continue to get care through Texas Children’s Health Plan until HHSC changes your address.